Seattle, WA

I woke up at my graunt and gruncle's home in West Seattle. Over breakfast (with homemade jam and homelaid eggs) we talked about my travels and what I had seen in the country. My gruncle Richard shared some stories from when he trekked around Europe on a BMW R25. Many of those stories seemed to involve crashing. I spent some of the late morning applying for jobs. It seems that the pressures of real life are in fact starting to get to me. I left the house just before noon to spend some time with my friend Chris. We grabbed lunch and caught up. He has been terrorizing Alki beach with his Abarth. Riding in that is an odd experience. The loud exhaust and wing larger than the car attract a lot of stares. He dropped me off with my first cousin, once removed. Let's just call Betsy my aunt, she's older than me and tracing the family tree that far out is annoying. Betsy and her husband Jerry have been doing more quarantine projects than anyone else I've met. They have planted more plants, baked more sourdough, sewn more masks, kept more bees, and made more clothes than all the other people that I've run into. Touring their garden was a real treat! This was where my breakfast came from. I learned a great deal about beekeeping, it seems like a fascinating way to spend time.

The inside matches the outside
For dinner, we came back to my graunt and gruncle's home where a feast had been prepared. I have not had many homemade meals on this trip and this was a real treat. It reminded me of how much I miss cooking. I've prepared tea on this trip but that's about it. We said our goodbyes and I got to work rearranging my trip. I've been encountering a new form of weather, smoke, and I'm still learning how to handle it. Southern and central Oregon are on fire right now, unfortunately this means that I cannot visit my friends in that part of the state. A reroute was in order which meant lots of time on the phone and on the internet. On the upside, I will make it home in less days and less miles. I'll have to get up there when the smoke clears to see those people.


I miss my camera

Comments