Medford, OR -> Berkeley, CA

My last cannonball day. The four of us made our way out of bed to grab breakfast. It was so nice to eat chilaquiles again. Just one of the little things that let me know I'm getting closer to home. On my way out of town I saw an In-n-Out. I wasn't hungry but it did make me happy. I had a lot of ground to cover so I got to work. Faster is better in this case. The less I drag my feet, the less time I spend in the heat. I made it to the California border in short order. Here I took the only photo of a state's welcome sign. To me, that lets me know that this is home.

A golden welcome

Lunch happened in Corning, which purports to be some sort of olive capital. From there, sweat. It was over ninety for three hours of today's trip with temperatures peaking just shy of a hundred as I hit Fairfield. I was able to (legally) lanesplit my way through morning traffic and escape to the cool of the bay. The chill ocean air felt nice. I made it in to Berkeley and caught up with Michelle, Amy, and Seabass, friends of mine from my SBCC days. Michelle had arranged poke bowls for dinner and we got to work on the prep. For me this mainly consisted of spiralling cucumbers and drinking sake. Both things that I am good at. Our friend Raphael and Seabass' friend Marie popped in later on. Another home-cooked meal. That felt nice. After dinner we popped over to a local tiki bar. I have been craving tiki drinks for weeks now and I was finally able to get my fix. Dock bars masquerading as tiki bars are extremely common in this country. A travesty. After a drink and a game of pool, we returned home and called it a night. This was a lovely welcoming back to my home state.

Today's Distance: 348 Miles

Total Distance: 8349 Miles

Comments