Lebanon, OR -> Medford, OR

I enjoyed a slow morning in Lebanon. James, my friend in Medford, was not going to be off work at 6:30 and he was only 200 miles away. I took breakfast at a small counter in downtown Lebanon. Friendly cooks and friendly service. I took the bike to fill up, an experience I had been dreading. I puled up the the station and the attendant asked, "You got it?" I said yes and ran my card with a sigh of relief. Apparently it is common for attendants to allow motorcyclists to fuel their machines for themselves, in spite of the legislation. I wound down the old highways to today's first stop, Eugene. I found an Indian joint (mediocre) and a bakery (delicious) to kill some time at. After that stop I left for Medford. I quickly ran into a long stretch of traffic which was slow enough to force me between first and neutral. This is annoying enough on any bike but on a Guzzi, my dry clutch was very unhappy. I decided it was time to start splitting lanes. Illegal, yes, but just as illegal as all of the shoulder riding I've seen in this state. It was not long before a man in a pickup saw me, made eye contact, shook his head, and moved over to hug the lane line. To drivers: please do not do this. Yes, I was commiting a crime. Yes, I was aware. No, I am not endangering you. No, it is not your job to enforce traffic laws. If you are lucky, you won't accidentally kill anyone in the name of self-righteousness. This man also didn't realize that blocking a motorcycle with a car is about as effective as trapping a fly with a pasta strainer. I waved at him and moved on.

I arrived in Medford at 5:30, late enough to head straight to James' work and hang out while he closed. The gun shop he works at is unique. I have never been inside of one that didn't feel like a frat house basement from the 70s. This felt more like a craft brewery complete with quirky furniture and lighting. I was pursuing and one of the belts caught my eye, my daily belt has taken a beating over the last few years. Anyway, now I'm wearing a gun belt. Apparently these things don't ever wear out even with a firearm on them. It should last two lifetimes without having to hold a gun. We picked up his girlfriend and went to a brewery with his coworkers. After the stint there, it was off to the county fair. I had passed it on the way in but I did not imagine that I would find myself present. What a wild time. I think that this is the first fair that I have been to since turning 21. Alcohol does make a difference. Less rides and more passing judgment on strangers. I had a marvelous time. After, the requisite late night Taco Bell run, it was time for bed. I'm hoping the evening doesn't make me struggle too hard tomorrow.

Kid Rock Played Later
Today's Distance: 216 Miles

Total Distance: 8001 Miles


Comments

Post a Comment