Grand Haven, MI -> Wheaton, IL

Today was supposed to be simple. Maybe even boring. Wake up. Take the bike to the tire shop. Pack. Go West.

Der mentsh trakht un Got lakht.

Wake up.

Ride to tire shop.

Find out tech decided to extend his fourth of July vacation.

For those not in the know, having motorcycle tires changed can be something of a process. You should always call ahead to reserve tires. This is a necessity when you have a bike like mine which requires an odd size. Also, most tire shops will not take wheels off of a bike. Understandable, as this can be an annoying process on a motorcycle. This inconvenience is especially obnoxious because many shops will only handle dirt bikes and Harleys. Once the place discovers that you have a shaft driven bike the phone tends to make an odd click. I chose the shop I did solely because they would take my wheels off too, even after they found out that I had a Guzzi. Of course, this was all for not because of a fishing trip which I hope this man is really enjoying. The shop called around to see if anyone else in town would be willing to take me in today. "He's touring" can be magic words in this world. Today they were not. The old man behind the counter submitted to me my worst case alternative. Today he was planning to have lunch with a group of motorcycling graybeards. If none of them could help me he would handle me himself. Albeit, slowly due to his age.

I made the ride back to Daniel's annoyed that this would be job no doubt filled with multiple Harbor Freight tool runs. Frustrating. On the way back I spied something with my little eye. Something, Guzzi-like. A cylinder peeking out from under a bike cover at a forty-five degree angle. There were a number of bikes parked on the driveway. A good sign, maybe this person with the Eldorado can help point me in the right direction. I knocked on the stranger's door and his wife brought him out. I explained my situation to Kevin and before I could ask to be pointed in the direction of a shop he told me that we would pull my wheels off in his driveway. I hopped in his car and we went to his storage unit to retrieve the pit stand holding his other Goose, an Ambassador. Along the way I got stories of his time in the commercial furniture business, street racing, wrenching, and autocross. Guzzi people are never boring. I called Daniel over to this man's house with the new plan and we all set to work. The wheels were off in no time, I feel like Kevin may have even done more of the work than me. He was very enthusiastic and we only dropped the bike once. Four pairs of hands pushed it forward off the center stand without wheels. Four pairs of hands made righting the wheelless bike easy work.

We hauled the wheels off to the tire shop. Not even one PM and the old man behind the counter was out to lunch. Not back until two. More phone calls. Off to Babbitt's, a dealer known nationally for their online ordering prowess. We got in and quickly discovered they had no inner tubes in stock. Back to the tire shop. Buy tubes. Back to Babbit's. Kill time. Receive the news that I'll need to have my wheels trued in my future. Back to Kevin's. Wheels on. I didn't have too much time to talk by then. It was nearing four and Daniel's family had arranged for me to stay with a family member in Wheaton, a Chicago suburb, that night. Two hundred miles of riding was in my future and my bike had just then become rideable. Motorcyclists share a bond but the bond of Guzzi riders is something special. I've met two Guzzi owners on this trip. One shared his home and hospitality with me (thank you John) and the second tore down my bike in his driveway in a time of need. I have a lot of karma to pay forward after this adventure.

Factory Certified Tractor Mechanics

I got back to the house and started packing. A cup of tea. Two more slices of pizza. Suit up. Say goodbye. Hit the road. I got to Wheaton just as the sun was setting. Mikey's mother was waiting for me in the living room and we talked about my trip and our weekend in Grand Haven while we waited for Mike, Mikey's friend (not confusing) to arrive. We talked bikes (he recently acquired an air-cooled Bonneville) and he gave me a tour of Wheaton. Dinner was a Chicago deep dish. A real treat. My eyelids have not felt this heavy for some time.

Today's Distance: 190 Miles

Total Distance: 5310 Miles

Comments

Post a Comment