Deale, MD (Day 3)

Any good party deserves a good hangover brunch. The remaining family streamed in to my Uncle Dan's house for one last hurrah together. A party in Maryland would not be a party in Maryland without a good old fashioned crab feast. Crabs are in short supply this season but that was no problem here. My Uncle knows a guy, "I tell him what I need and he gets it for me." What may have been as much as a bushel of crabs were steamed and brought down to the garage for consumption. Locally, this is called picking a crab. This process involves crab mallets, plastic wrap, and beer. The bugs at hand are the local Baltimore Blues, so named for the color when they come out of the water. The picking routine begins with a nod to local architecture (lift the Washington Monument shaped 'apron' on the underside) and lots of hungry cracking noises. Blues are known for their flavor and their size. The taste is delicious but they are small enough to make you work for it.

The process of picking is an interesting social activity. Everyone is sitting at a table and with Blues, not usually eating. All parties at hand are deeply focused on extracting each tasty morsel from the depths of their crustacean. You find yourself almost surfacing from time to time for conversation. It can be hard to talk and pick concurrently although it seems that some folks can talk and do just about anything.

Team Disassembly

The warm atmosphere and smell of Old Bay carried through the home where people were lounging. Unfortunately this was not to last forever. After helping to pack my Grandparents' car, cheery conversation turned to goodbyes. They were the first to begin the departure process. They are driving back home to Fayetteville, almost doing the reverse of a slice of my own journey. In an effort to get out of town before Capitol traffic cuts them off, they left today for Richmond. That's another city I would like to check out again. Unfortunately, my motorcycle was blocking their car so I was the first to leave.

Talking to his new grandson in law and fifth great grandchild

Today was a full last day. Full of food, full of love, full of satisfaction. I've said goodbye to my parents for the last time before I get back to California. It almost feels as though I am back at home and this adventure is beginning again.

Comments