Amagansett, NY -> Cambridge, MA

Last day in Amagansett. I woke up to Zach's alarm prompting him out of bed. We said our goodbyes and I rose shortly thereafter. I cleaned the room and packed my things. I had booked a ferry ticket for the afternoon so I had a considerable amount of time to wrap up at the house. Once I finished my laundry and gave up on packing my bags effectively, I wished Matt and Avery farewell and set out. It was a short hour and a half journey to Orient Point. Long Island splits off at the east end into two 'forks'. I was ten miles from the tip of the south fork and I had to get to tip the north fork for my ferry. This was an exciting journey. I had never taken my own vehicle on a ferry before, let alone a motorcycle. This excitement helped to bring me there early, so early in fact that I got put on an earlier ferry! That means less time waiting and more time in Boston. I grabbed lunch aboard and sat in the blissfully air conditioned cabin. On my way out a stranger in noticed my California plates and stopped me to ask about it. I'm always happy to talk to people about my journey and it always seems like the folks that stop me have stories to trade. Dave's parents went to Alaska two up on a bike in the 80s. What a journey that must have been. I would have loved to stop and talk more but the cars were rolling off, it was hot, and I was not yes prepared for it. 
All Aboard

It was hot in that car deck. The sign of things to come. Temperatures on the segment from New London to Cambridge peaked at 97 degrees just after Rhode Island. I was so fatigued along the way that I stopped to take a nap at a rest area. After sweating a lot and moving just as much I finally got in to Cambridge where I met up with Evan, an old high school friend. We took a walk through Harvard and the surrounding area. We caught up, hydrated, dehydrated, enjoyed dinner, and drinks. We stumbled on a reggae band of Slavs having a concert in the park (have you ever seen a reggae group with a pedal steel and a violin?) and took a break at a small bar nearby. Lots of good music and antics. Reggae music is good but the people watching at a reggae concert is the greatest part of the experience in my opinion. We made a brief stop at Target for an air mattress on the way back. I am the first person to visit him that hasn't slept in his bed or brought their own air mattress. Another sign that things are thawing. More water and some much needed rest. Tomorrow is going to be another scorcher.

A concert and a show

Today's Distance: 178 Miles

Total Distance: 3985 Miles

Comments