Fayetteville, AR (Day 1)

There is a certain pleasure that comes with visiting friends or family at their hometown for the second time. The first time you see them, everyone feels compelled to fall into the tourist routine. We've all been there at breakfast where the conversation sounds like "well here you can..." or "if you guys like to...". The second time you visit someone you've already seen it all. Their list of local things to show you is exhausted, they don't feel a need to play tour guide, and you don't have to play tourist. Good morning, there's banana bread on the counter, how about we just hang out today.

My younger cousin Janie hopped in her car and drove us out to the Coler preserve where we went for a walk. We talked about our futures, where we were going to live, and the grim realities of public transportation in the US. We migrated out and got lunch with my cousin in law Beth and made our way back home. I booked lodging for Memphis and Nashville while Janie exercised and Beth picked up her two children from school.

I sat on the couch talking to my aunt Phyl for who even knows how long. It felt so good to lose track of time. After a time (how long, who cares) Janie was back, bringing news of an ex-gopher one of the dogs had lovingly brought into the driveway. Now that I think about it, I don't remember if that happened before or after the five of us did ice cream at Braum's. I think that's a symptom of how laid back today was. Good symptom.

My uncle Jeff came home from work and we all had dinner together. Relaxing. Family is home wherever you are. There is something beautiful about that.

No pictures today. Just living in the moment.

Comments