Atlanta, GA

My attempt to sleep in today was foiled by the sun. I guess the rays are smaller than the gaps between the blinds in this room. After I managed to admit defeat, I hopped on the bike and rode into Atlanta. Nick had recommended a donut shop so I picked up a pistachio rose donut and a mint julep donut from there. Luckily, the pouch on the back of my jacket is large enough to fit two donuts comfortably and they survived their journey. After tea and donuts, we met up with his dad. We meandered to a local brewery where we smoked a beer and waited for our booth to open up at Topgolf. For those not in the know, and I was not until today, Topgolf is essentially a driving range with a bowling alley atmosphere. As you hook and slice your way through ball after ball, waitresses bring snacks and libations to your table to keep things running smoothly. The range is set up so it can track the trajectory of the ball and where it winds up. This allows them to have a number of games for you to play. We were trying to sink balls into the various targets on the range for points. I, predictably, did not do so hot. However, I also failed to injure anyone and I had a marvelous time. I'd call that a victory.

Wandering
Nick's dad dropped us off in Inman Park where we continued to wander. We grabbed dinner and a cocktail. Birded to another brewery, and called it a night. These words do not communicate just how much we did today and how beat I was by the time I got home.

I got a real Atlanta goodbye on my way out of the city. I popped into a gas station to juice up before heading out. The station was packed with muscle cars and motorcycles. What's more, every pump was covered with plastic bags as though they were out of order. I quickly ascertained that some sort of unsanctioned (cool) event was occurring and as much as I like mischief it was not going to put gas in my tank. I pulled out of the lot and I noticed the tire smoke from the sideshow occurring at a blocked off adjacent intersection. Right as the fireworks began to go off, the Atlanta PD contributed their own flashing lights to the party.
Time to scram.

Comments